2003 Feb 25 18:14

[vox-tech] apt for rpm... ignore dependencies?

[vox-tech] apt for rpm... ignore dependencies?

Hey all,

I've been playing around with apt for rpm, and finally starting to feel like civilized package management just might be possible under Red Hat. However, I need to be able to circumvent some dependencies. As things are now, there are some dubious dependencies that are causing apt-get to always fail, i.e., I get:

# apt-get --simulate install mysql
Reading Package Lists... Done
Collecting File Provides... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
mplayer: Depends: lirc but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

In my case, transcode requires mplayer requires lirc, but the rpm-distributed lirc doesn't work properly (at least this was true when I last checked). I can install mplayer and lirc from source, but have had problems with transcode, so the rpm was a very nice thing. In any case, I can't tell if there's a way to tell apt, "No, don't worry about lirc, *I* know all will be well, so listen to me and do my bidding." I've read all of the apt documentation I can find, and there doesn't seem to be any way to do this. Is there a solution to this problem other than "rpm -e apt"?

Thanks,
Matt