2003 Feb 22 19:19

Re: [vox-tech] SBLive Value sound

Dwayne,

Are you saying that after you modprobe as root, sound doesn't work if you log out and log back in as another user? If that's the case, you probably do have a permissions problem, as Richard suggested. However, if it's just that it's annoying to log in as root to modprobe the driver, then I think you should just be able to add the modprobe command to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Still, it's unusual that you would have to manually configure a soundcard (especially SBLive) in RH. Have you tried running "redhat-config-soundcard"? This seems to be the 8.0 replacement for the venerable sndconfig, which always worked for me. I might add that I have the same card, and RH 8.0 detected it automatically after the first boot.

Good luck,
Matt

Dwayne wrote:
I installed RH 8.0 dual boot with Win98se. Sound did not work.
I Aliased Audio to emu10k1 in my /etc/modules.conf file.
Then I can Modprode to load the driver emu10k1.o
Sound works after doing that.  But only works when I log in as root
because I cannot modprobe as normal user.
If I reboot I have to  Modprobe the driver again to get sound.

1. How can I get the driver to load at boot for all users?

Dwayne