2003 Feb 14 09:02

Re: [vox-tech] email problems

On Thursday 13 February 2003 17:16, ME wrote:
> Jim said:
> > Hi:
> > I am having troubles with my email.  When I access my server (pop3) using
> > kmail it gives me an error message     could not read file  The server
> > said:
> > "no such msg"    .  When this happens I also noticed that at the bottom
> > of the window there is another message    Transmission completed, 29 new
> > messages at 0KB.
> > ??????????????????????????  I have received e-mail but a few at a time.
> > It
> > appears that this happens when I first activate kmail but unsure.  I
> > called
> > my server and told him of my delima.  He reset my email accountand stated
> > that if it was a problem on their end that this will take care of it.
> >
> > I have removed my filters that I was so proud of figuring out how to do.
> > Maybe that had something to do with it I don't know.
> >
> > I will boot windows and send myself a whole slew of e-mails.
> >
> > Has anybody ever seen or heard of this?
>
> There are cases where an e-mail messages causes issues with the pop server
> and/or the pop client. If it is the pop-client, one thing you can do is to
> log into a shell from the ISP (if they have one) and use a mail reader to
> see the next message for delivery and try to delete it.
>
> Another method if a shell is not available is to try another popmail
> client. If you have nestcape, you can try setting it up to be a pop mail
> client, but make sure you set the option: "Do not delete mail from server"
> and select the other option "delete mail from the server when I delete the
> local copy." By setting these two in netscape with mail, you can browse to
> the message that is causing problems, delete it or read it, or "whatever"
> it, and then quit netscape, and re-start your kmail and see if it can get
> the messages that are left on the server.
>
> If the problem is causing the isp pop server to croak and you dont have a
> shell, then you may need to have them tell you about the mail and manually
> delete it on their end.
>
> These (above) are the most common causes for what you describe.. There may
> be others. Please let us know if this does not help you.
>
> -ME

I called the server and I was told that there is no messages for me.  This was
after the fore said eror messages and text at the bottom of the window
stating "Transmission completed, 29 new messages at 0KB".

I have mailed a slew of messages to myself and received all of them. I did
however rechecked archived letters on both samba and lugod and am still not
getting some e-mail.

What I think I will do is use their (my isp=sysmatrix) web based email and
check what mesages are actually on their server.  Then I will use kmail to
get my email.

Thank you for your help.  You have given me new ideas.
--
Grasshopper