2003 Feb 13 15:43

Re: [vox-tech] X server help

> > OK I think I may be understanding something but don't know how to
fix
> > it.  modprobe can't locate my  module nvidia.o so it is not getting
> > installed.  I think the reason is that the file is being put in the
> > directory
> >
> > /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o
> >
> > but I am trying to run version 2.4.18-24.8.0 of the kernel.  I had
> > rpmbuild --rebuild when I was in this kernel and it still put the
file
> > in the other directory.  Can I just create a link (and how would I
do
> > that) to the nvidia.o file that I found or do I need to uninstall
the
> > rpm that is there now and rebuild it again and install again?
Thanks,

> Have you installed the kernel headers rpm for 2.4.18-24.8.0 ?
>
> Try that and rebuild.

I have the most current kernel headers that RH offers installed
(glibc-kerndeader-2.4-7.20), but I don't have the source code for this
kernel version (2.4.18-24.8.0) installed.  Do I need to? I also the rpm
command doesn't seem to do anything now?  I got the kernel-source as an
rpm and can't install it?

I tried just rebuilding the src rpm and got this error as it tried to

install: cannot stat 'nvidia.o': No such file or directory
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.50676

I removed the previous NVIDIA_kernel rpm before I tried to rebuild this
one.  Is that causing a problem?  Thanks for all your help,

Jennifer