2003 Feb 12 14:11

Re: [vox-tech] baby steps

I, too, had a tough time switching from Windows to Linux. Even now I am very much GUI dependent. Did you try working with Konqueror (the KDE filemanager) in superuser mode?

Not sure what you need to do with Samba, but I found this article very helpful:

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0318.linuxcorp.html

In particular, it mentions the GUI programs GnoSamba (mildy useful) and LinNeighborhood (extremely useful). The LinNeighborhood link is here:

http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/

I think that the only think I needed to change in the default smb.conf was my WorkGroup. Then I fired up LinNeighborhood and could see my entire department's network just fine. Printing to network printers is another story...

Jonathan