2003 Feb 12 13:39

Re: [vox-tech] baby steps

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 01:10:34PM -0800, Jim wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 February 2003 12:28, Henry House wrote:
> > A good way to run graphical programs as root (editor, cofiguration tool,
> > etc) is to use 'ssh -X root@localhost' instead of 'su'. You might try
> > creating a bash alias to make a shorthand for the preceding command.
>
> What?  I am but a mere infant to Linux.  I really don't understand what you
> just said.
>
> I typed in ssh-X root@localhost   in the shell konsole and get an error
> message "ssh-X command not found".  I typed in root@localhost---same results.

  the command is a single string of letters.

  a problem appears to be you left out the space between the command 'ssh'
and it's first option '-X'.

> Why does this stuff have to be so hard?  I can't even copy the results by
> hightlighting.  Isin't there some graphical user interface that will give me
> the same results?

  I don't understand why you couldn't copy the results by highlighting...
unless you were trying to use the wrong steps to paste the highlighted text.

  In X windows you highlight with the left mouse button and paste with
the middle mouse button... you don't need to use ^C or anything to copy
it first.  There are some programs that provide a short cut to paste text
(like shift-insert, or ^V), but most of the time you just highlight and
paste.  I have been surprised by in the past by windows users not knowing
how to paste text they highlight... so if this is the cause it's not
unusual.

    TTFN,
      Mike