2003 Feb 12 13:39

Re: [vox-tech] baby steps

On Wednesday 12 February 2003 12:28, Henry House wrote:
> A good way to run graphical programs as root (editor, cofiguration tool,
> etc) is to use 'ssh -X root@localhost' instead of 'su'. You might try
> creating a bash alias to make a shorthand for the preceding command.

What?  I am but a mere infant to Linux.  I really don't understand what you
just said.

I typed in ssh-X root@localhost   in the shell konsole and get an error
message "ssh-X command not found".  I typed in root@localhost---same results.
Why does this stuff have to be so hard?  I can't even copy the results by
hightlighting.  Isin't there some graphical user interface that will give me
the same results?

It's as if I am taking one step foward then two steps back.  This is driving
me crazy.  And to beat all, I haven't even begun to set up samba.

I guess that I am so used to window$ and the way it works.  I feel like I'm
learning to use computers all over again.
--
Grasshopper