2003 Feb 10 20:12

Re: [vox-tech] Computer/TV dilemma

Simplest setup is to use a standard computer monitor with standard cables.
ATI's video cards seem to be the best supported under Linux.  I use
Voodoo3 3500TV and find the driver not totally satisfying (many features
are broken.)

You probably don't want a good TV screen (like HDTV) in your kitchen
because the kitchen has a tendancy to lay sticky stuff on top of
electronics if you do a lot of cooking.

If you can find a HDTV that doubles as a monitor, and if you really want
it, I don't see why you couldn't get it hooked up...  a video card with
digital connector and a HDTV with a matching connector must exist
somewhere out there...

-Mark

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Rod Roark wrote:

> My wife wants both a small TV and a computer in our kitchen.
> I'm thinking, why not combine them?  Does anyone have
> suggestions for good ways to do that?  For example would it
> work out better to find a small HDTV that can double as a
> monitor, or to use a normal monitor and add a TV tuner card
> into the computer?
>
> The computer part does not need to be much -- it would be a
> "thin client" networked to a server in my office.  But I do
> want at least 1024x768 resolution.
>
> -- Rod

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/