2003 Feb 11 18:05

[vox-tech] X server help

Hi all,
    I am having technical difficulties with XFree86.  A while back, I
tried to update my video drivers.  It worked for the setup that I had
but not with any of the update that came out (I am using RH 8.0).  So
recently I tried to get my video card to work with the newer kernel
version available.  Now I have lost all ability to use X.  I tried
uninstalling my drivers and it won't rebuild the newest source rpm.  I
then tried downloading the newest version of XFree86 binaries.  They
seem to install correctly and the configuration script runs, but doesn't
make my mouse work properly.  Then when I type startx at the prompt, it
tries to start X but then I get the error message

PreInit failed for input device "Mouse1"
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
Failed to initialize core devices

Can anyone help me to figure out how to get X back and running on
machine?

Machine Specs:
Dell Optiplex
512 MB RAM