2003 Feb 10 01:26

Re: [vox-tech] Can a username be changed?

Re: [vox-tech] Can a username be changed?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 01:44:22PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
<snip>

> I would also make sure to rename their mail spool file,

This user doesn't get mail. :^) This user doesn't even get to
run a shell or see files in their home directory.
(I'm working on the kiosk box for Newsbeat, now that KDE 3.1
came out.  I decided "newsbeat" was a 'friendlier' username
than "default", since now when you click the big "K" menu,
it says "Logout 'username'")

> and do a
> find /etc -type f | xargs grep oldusername

Hehe... ouch.  Naming the user "default" back in the beginning
was a bad idea. ;^)  I don't see anything important, though...

> to find places like the sudo configuration files that might reference
> their usernames.  Other applications like "mysql" or "samba" might also
> maintain parallel configurations for that username.

See above, re: kiosk ;^)

I suppose I should have mentioned how restricted the user was when I
asked the question to begin with.  Most of the 'beware' details don't
apply to this. :^)

ITOH, everyone's info. is all quite helpful, it seems, and is happily
archived on lugod.org ;^)  Thanks, all!

--
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                    Was I useful?  Rate this message!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/bill  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick