2003 Feb 09 13:40

Re: [vox-tech] tinydns behind NAT firewall?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 11:24:51AM -0800, Shawn P. Neugebauer wrote:
> Well, I'm finally getting around to setting up my own DNS server/cache,
> and I've run into a problem.
>
> Is it generally possible to run tinydns behind a (dedicated) NAT firewall
> (a netgear RP114)?  The problem is that the name server wants to run
> on an interface having the published name server IP address, but, of
> course, it's behind a firewall masquerading as that IP address (thus,
> the firewall is doing translation, so DNS queries could never make it to
> the right interface).

Any decent NAT box will have a way to forward packets to internal
machines. You should be able to set up a rule that packets destined for
the NAT box's external interface, port 53, type UDP, get forwarded to
the DNS server.

If your Netgear RP114 lacks this capability, I suggest setting up a
Linux-based NAT box. It'll give you more control over your network
traffic than any Netgear/Linksys/whatever NAT box.

--
Samuel Merritt