2003 Feb 01 15:48

Re: [vox-tech] simple web-based file management/sharing system?

Re: [vox-tech] simple web-based file management/sharing system?

Zope is great for this sort of thing. There are two add-ons that are very close to what you're describing: CMF and NuxeoCPS. There some sites out there that offer free Zope hosting for noncommercial projects, which might be a good way to take Zope for a test-drive. I've heard it described as a database that thinks it's a filesystem. It has nice granular controls of user permissions and a very approachable interface. It comes with some sample apps. Code that you can mod and splice together to build your own projects. In my experience it's been quick and stable and plays well with a lot of other technologies. Let me know if you have questions I can help with.
--
David

Shawn P. Neugebauer wrote:

At last, I have a good question for vox-tech!

I've been asked to put together a simple web-based file management/
sharing system. The system would be used by a small group to share
PDF, PS and other types of files. We'd like any (validated) participating
user to be able to add content (upload a file) along with perhaps some
comments or other simple information (a single comment field would
probably suffice). It's probably a good idea to allow only the uploader or
editor to delete entries. One extra level of complexity would be helpful
for increasing the utility of this thing: the ability to create new
"folders" for organizing the information. The platform is linux (redhat).

I realize that a motivated individual could do this quite nicely with
apache, mysql, and, say, php, however, I'd like to avoid the database,
and, frankly, I don't want to spend very much time on this. Also, a few
minutes with google and freshmeat convinced me there are 1000 existing
solutions--I'm hoping this email will solicite some good leads.

So, any ideas? Opinions? Experience with something like this? A simple
php-based or perl-based (or something else?) solution would be nice. A
straightforward groupware-type web application would be useful too, but they
tend to include lots of stuff that's not needed (and won't be needed) here.

shawn.