2003 Jan 31 20:04

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] Electrical Engineering Question

On Friday 31 January 2003 06:20 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hi rod,
>
> well, the math looks good, but you most likely knew that anyhow.
>
> the relative error between 325 watts and 250 watts is about 23%.  pretty
> high, imho.

Well, either 250W is "23% too low" or 325W is "30% too
high".  :-)

> the implicit assumption is that the dial's rotational speed increases
> linearly with energy consumption.   i have no inner feeling for whether
> that's true or not.  however, i can tell you that the power delivered by
> an harmonic wave of any sort is proportional to the *square* of its
> amplitude.  that's kind of counter intuitive, and was just meant to
> illustrate that linear increase in angular speed may not result in
> linear increase in consumed power.

The meter seems all mechanical, just gears, and the dials
measure straight KWH, so I'm pretty sure the relationship is
linear.

> but i'm _very_ interested in hearing PG&E's response to this.  please
> send a followup to this when you have more info!

Sure.  I'll be doing some more careful testing first.
Checking that 100 revs/KWH assumption will be a pain.

Thanks for the feedback.

-- Rod