2003 Jan 31 21:15

Re: [vox-tech] My Thought: Building a Server

"Richard Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> said:
>>I don't know.  Does this sound like a stupid idea or what?

Its not stupid from the point of view if you want to learn more about
hardware and setting up a pc then this is the best way to learn. Plus you'll
get *exactly* what hardware components you want, and know exactly what you
want.

Its actualy not that hard either - I did exactly the same a couple of years
ago and was surprised that everything worked first time! And it only took a
few hours to assemble everything, but a few more hours to install all the
software I wanted.

With the prebuilt pcs from anywhere there always seems to be some bundled
something-or-other that you have no need for, but its part of the deal and
usually the supplier wont take it out of the whole package for a
corresponding cut in the price (might depend on the supplier). At least if
you build yourself you get what you want.

Also, later down the line I think you'll find you'll be happier about
opening the box and adding/removing components if you built it yourself -
theres no supplier waranty or anything to invalidate.

Just my thoughts,
Kevin