2003 Jan 25 18:02

Re: [vox-tech] newbie now having trouble with pico

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 16:46, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > This doesn't make sense to me.  What do I do?
>
> Install Debian ;-)
>
> Or you can resolve your deps in RPM manually.  One of the local RH
> masochists may be able to point you to the RPM hell resolver flavor of
> the week, I can't keep up with all of 'em myself, and prefer things that
> Just Work[tm].

*Is* she using Red Hat?  RPM technology is used by several distros now,
I thought.  Maybe I just missed an earlier post.

Meanwhile, Katie, resolving RPM dependencies *is* a hellish process...
as is downloading and installing a bunch of RPM's that you need in order
to install yet another RPM that you want to install.  There are ways of
installing RPM's such that you can ignore the dependency issues, but I'm
not all that familiar with them.  If you're confident in your ability to
fix some problems that might crop up, you can try the --nodeps option...
but you didn't hear that from me.

Richard
(Who hopes that he's just beginning to lose his "newbie" status, but
recognizes that he still has a lot to learn...)

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford
is