2003 Jan 28 12:49

[vox-tech] Linux networking question

I have a question that has cropped up recently.  I have a gamesystem with an ethernet card in it.  My old setup had everything going thru my linux system to the internet.  The linux box has a DHCP and caching DNS server running and it all seemed to work great.  I have had this setup since December of 2000 and have had to make little modifications to it.  Unfortunately, my PS2(the above game system) does not seem to like this very much.  The issue is unfortunately port forwarding.  To fix this(on a temporary basis) I used the router portion of my hub(its a linksys cable/DSL router that I bought a few years back on the hopes that it would work better or at least as well as the linux in routing, and save me a few bucks on power.  Unfortunately back then, it failed miserably.  However, recently with my current problems, I was reading that the thing is upgradable by firmware.  I did that and it works better.  Rather than fail after a few hrs of operation, it lasted about a week before requiring powercycling.  My problem is more software and comes from the fact that game makers for PS2 don't seem very communicative about what ports need to be opened in their software for stuff to function properly.  The linksys router supports a DMZ host which throws the PS2 system on the network unprotected.  My question is, is there a way to do this in software in the linux box?  I know I could probably get 1 more hub, and put the exterior connections(the PS2 and the linux box) on it and get another IP from comcast.  I don't want to do this for my whole network, and it comes from the fact that I never could convince my systems that they didn't need to go to the internet for local file xfers(which I do a lot.)  So, does anyone have any idea how to simulate the DMZ portion of the linksys router under linux?  Im running a 2.4 kernel(2.4.19 to be exact.)  Oh, and I'm looking for something a bit cleaner than just forwarding every port to the PS2.

Mike