2003 Jan 21 16:06

Re: [vox-tech] troubleshooting internet connection

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Robin Snyder wrote:

> What I've checked so far: I'm pretty sure I'm plugged into the correct
> ethernet card.  I know the DSL box works, because I can use my housemate's
> computer to get to the net.  The ethernet cable should be fine because it
> was working at the Installfest.  There's nothing amiss that I can see in
> either dmesg or /var/log/syslog.  netstat -rn gives me the correct IP
> address but Gateway is listed simply as 0.0.0.0.  However, that strikes me
> more as symptom than cause.  What other probes can I use to figure out
> what's gone wrong?
>
> 			- robin.

Try running

/sbin/ifup eth0

(assuming eth0 is your DSL ethernet card)

then pinging another machine (local or non-local).

If that works, then you need to enable networking at boot time.  You can
enable networking in /etc/sysconfig/network:

NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=mymachine.mynetwork.com
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

and /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0  by adding the line

ONBOOT=yes

in the file.  This is in Redhat 8.0.  These settings may be in different
files within different distros.  Also, instead of eth0, use the correct
ethernet interface number for your setup.

FL