2003 Jan 21 02:52

Re: [vox-tech] converting opera bookmarks to galeon

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:16:18AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> 1. is there a way to convert my opera bookmark file into galeon/mozilla
>    format?  i don't really have bookmarks under galeon yet.  i'm
>    starting with a clean slate and would like to simply import the opera
>    bookmarks.

IIRC galeon stores bookmarks in XML.  (Haven't used galeon in awhile --
I got annoyed when galeon was switching over to gconf for configuration
and started using Opera.  For me, Galeon is now the Wally Pip[1] of web
browsers)  Opera stores bookmarks in a flat textfile whose format is easy
to grok.  Sounds like it's time to put that Perl practice to use.

> 2. after i do that, is there a way to share the bookmark folder between
>    galeon and opera so that changes made with one browser will reflect in
>    the other browser's bookmarks?

Probably not a super clean way.  You could automate something from
crond, but you'd have to take care the one or other of the browsers
isn't running.  If you modify opera6.adr while opera is running, opera
will happily overwrite it with the bookmarks it has in memory.  Not sure
what galeons behavior is in this regard.

Opera can import netscape and konq bookmarks on startup, so depending
upon galeons similar capabilities, you might find a common format and
use that.

BTW, Opera 6.11 almost never craps out on me.  Feel free to mail me off
list if you want to try and figure out what's going on.  It's likely
font-related.  In the meantime, I think i'll apt-get galeon.

-ta

[1]  Wally Pip was the starting firstbaseman for the Yankee's in the
'20's  He became ill one day and was replaced in the lineup by Lou
Gehrig who didn't miss a game for 17 years.  Kinda like windows after I
installed my first Linux.