2003 Jan 21 00:18

Re: [vox-tech] networking

Rick Moen wrote:
Quoting Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

...but this largely doesn't matter for broadband. Most DSL/Cable
services connect to your internal network as an Ethernet hub. There's
no hardware issue here -- your network card will work just fine (though
your DSL/Cable provider may balk at dealing with GNU/Linux).

The software issue with low-end providers requiring PPPoE is worth
noting.
You think so? PPPoE is really pretty easy to set up these days, as the major distributions (SuSE included) come with PPPoE support, and very likely with a GUI tool for configuring it (OK, maybe Debian doesn't have the tool, I dunno). I know Red Hat now has a wizard-like tool for configuring network interfaces, and a quick look at SuSE's web page suggests that YaST2 can do this as well. You might as well be using M$, except that it works, and you don't have to reboot :) I wouldn't worry about PPPoE.

I would suggest being aware of one possible hardware issue, though... when I set up my DSL with Pac Bell 1.5 yrs ago, I had to specifically request a modem with an ethernet interface; the other "option" was a USB interface. Maybe they've gotten away from that with the near ubiquity of ethernet adapters in PCs now, but I'd make sure.

Matt