2003 Jan 20 22:43

[vox-tech] Internet monitoring (was networking)

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 07:44:10PM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:19:40AM -0800, Jim (evesautomotive@sysmatrix.net) wrote:
[...]
> > Can I easily adjust settings so my teenage daughter can't log on the
> > internet at 2:30 in the morning?
>
> See above.
>
> You can also run a Web proxy (squid) which provides a number of
> additional features:
>
>   - You can log access.  In the "use the 'Net responsibly" philosophy,
>     your daughter is responsible for knowing that her surfing habits can
>     be reviewed.
>
>   - You can filter specific content.  This might be sites, but another
>     useful feature is to block content which can be harmful to legacy MS
>     Windows systems (there are worms/viruses which can attack via web
>     browsers).
>
>   - You can increase surfing response by caching frequently viewed
>     content.  This can increase your apparent surfing speed by 10-20% in
>     typical cases.
[...]

Sarah and I have talked off and on about what our Internet policy
will be when Isaac is older and have pretty much settled on the
'net responsibility' policy.  Initially we plan on placing his
computer in a public area so there isn't real privacy, but at
some point that isn't going to work.  So it will eventually come
down to accepting that he will get into things or some kind of
logging.  The only problem with logging is the availability of
anonymizing services like safeweb where you can browse through
a secure proxy.

What do others plan/do in this area?

Joel