2003 Jan 20 11:40

Re: [vox-tech] gimp question: layers and resizing

on Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 01:50:09AM -0800, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:06:08AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Create a new layer.  Make it white.  Merge with your existing
> > transparent layer (that's what the checkerboard represents), or delete
> > the transparent layer.  Or leave it...
>
> There's no "transparent layer."  Every single one of his layers now have
> transparency.

I realized that when I looked at the image itself.  My point (as you
explained in another post) was that, if there is transparency in all
layers, then the portion of the image corresponding to a transparent
region in *all* layers will be transparent.

Adding a white layer to the bottom of the stack will make the image
opaque.

> It's like he was given a sheet of white paper, and then he added some
> sheets of cellophane on top of them.
>
> Now he suddenly has a bigger desk to draw on, but none of his cellophane
> (or the white paper at the bottom) have been made bigger.

Right.  Your "resize layer to canvas" trick was one I hadn't been aware
of.  I learned something.

Peace.