2003 Jan 17 18:00

Re: [vox-tech] Quick and easy windows dupe

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:24:05PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> My old Win2K installation is on /dev/hdb1, including some programs that
> I simply can't get to anymore.  Does anyone know of a quick and easy
> (yet reliable) way of duplicating my Win2K installation from /dev/hdb1
> to /dev/hda1?
[...]
> Can anyone give me any suggestions?

  If I'm not mistaken you are moving off the old drive because it is
having hardware problems...
  I recommend you get a partition setup on the new drive that has
the same number of blocks in it... as seen by a 'fdisk -l /dev/hda'
then once that is done, get dd_rescue from the following URL:
  http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
and use that to mirror the partition block by block to the new drive.
Give it a few extra tries if you encounter bad blocks (and you
can restrict the range it works on if this is the case).

  If there are any blocks that can't transfer because they are bad,
figure out how to make NT to do a filesystem check on the drive.

    Good Luck,
      Mike