2003 Jan 17 13:12

Re: [vox-tech] exim install help

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 12:18:36PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> ryan,
>
> have you tried to google for any of the questions you've been asking?
> google seems to know the answer to this question.  in fact, i felt kind
> of lucky today.  hint hint.
>
> google is your friend.  :)
>
> also, have you read the docs?   i could certainly be wrong, but i'm
> having trouble believing that software like exim or postfix wouldn't
> list dependent libraries in their documentation or autoconf files.

Also, most RPM-based distributions split libraries into two packages:
the binary libraries, and the header files needed to compile programs
using the libraries.

For example, on my system, I have libdb-1.85 installed. So, any binary
RPMs that require libdb are happy. However, I don't have
libdb-devel-1.85 installed, so anything I'm compiling that wants libdb
can't find the necessary header files to use it.

So, if exim can't find a library that you know you have installed, make
sure the -devel RPM is also installed (presuming you use an RPM-based
distribution).