2003 Jan 15 20:58

Re: [vox-tech] Mac OS X on intel?

As much as I consider myself an advocate of open source, I bought a mac last year, because it allows me be more effective in my work and thus justify the higher cost. As a web developer I use Dreamweaver, because it les me work more efficently than any open source web editor out there. With OS X, I can do pages in Dreamweaver and also have a complete developing environment on my local machine: Apache, PHP, Zope, PostgreSQL, etc. OS X also lets me run a lot of opensource apps like gimp, openoffice, etc. In 8 months it has never crashed, never frozen. There are also several audio apps like Reason available on OS X that don't yet have competitors in the open source realm. I hope this will change soon. I don't think Apple has any intention of porting their OS to Intel hardware. One of the ways that they are able to provide such a stable operating system is in the extremely narrow range of hardware that they have to support.
--
David

Jim Long wrote:

When I was in the market for a new computer a while
back I almost bought a mac just for OSX. But in the
end, the higher price (compared to a PC) kept me away.
If my case is at all common, offering OSX for intel
based hardware doesn't seem like it'd make much sense
to Apple from a business point of view. PC users who
might otherwise 'switch' to a mac would just buy OSX
for thier intel machines.

(That's what I'd do, at least)

Jim

--- "Micah J. Cowan" <micah@cowan.name> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 01:24:51PM -0800, Ryan