2003 Jan 14 18:56

Re: [vox-tech] X4 and Intel 82810 graphics card

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 06:16:35PM -0800, Robin Snyder wrote:
> I have been unable to get X running on my machine with an Intel 82810
> graphics card.  I'm running the woody version of Debian, with kernel
> 2.4.18.  Below, I have an earlier posting to this list about the problem
> if you want to see the details.  I'm wondering if I should just go out and
> buy a different graphics card, one that's been around longer and that is
> more easily accommodated by set-up programs.  Questions:  Do people think
> this is the best approach?  (I'm at wit's end.)  If so, what should I buy,
> and where's a good place to buy it?  If not, is this something that folks
> at the installfest should be able to help me with?

Robin,

  I've seen plenty of i810 graphics cards work.  If I remember correctly
there is a kernel module called agpart or something that needs to be
loaded (which reserves system memory for the chipset which comes with none)
to be able to use that card.  So I don't think buying another card is
needed.

  The installfest should be able to get that card working... I recommend
taking it there this coming Sunday if you don't get the card working
in the meantime.

    TTFN,
      Mike