2003 Jan 12 16:26

Re: [vox-tech] An error message of some sort in X...

on Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 08:27:20AM -0800, Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com) wrote:
> > Richard, you don't mention your distro and/or version, which could be
> > significant.  I recall you mentioning Red Hat in the past -- you still
> > using that?
>
> Yep.  I'm up to Red Hat 8 now.  I know, I should have waited for 8.2,
> but I was impatient.
>

> > Locale is also strongly affected by libc.  This is something Debian
> > unstable users may have noted in the past few days, and will likely see
> > again.
>
> Yep, while I was Googling I saw many reports of this problem from Debian
> users.  No solutions, though.

There are a couple of solutions.

One solution which has worked in the past is to only use double-byte
(IIRC) fonts which present properly.  You might want to check your
system fonts.  This isn't entirely trivial.

Another is to wait for glibc to be fixed.  Debian's problems were all
with unstable and testing.

Peace.

   At the sound of the toner, boycott Lexmark:  trade restraint via DMCA.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979791.html