2003 Jan 12 16:26

[vox-tech] Puzzling Hard Drive Behavior

I went out and bought a brand spankin' new 120GB hard drive for my
computer, partitioned it appropriately, and put Win2K and Linux on it,
and put GRUB on the MBR.  But my old 80GB hard drive still has a bunch
of data on it that I need to get to.

Thus, I re-installed the old hard drive, set the jumper to the slave
configuration (according to the documentation that came with the drive),
and set the jumper on the 120GB hard drive to the master configuration.
When I turned on the computer, BIOS auto-detected both drives and
assigned master/slave status appropriately.

GRUB appears normally when I turn on the computer, and I select Linux.
However, Linux is unable to mount the root filesystem as a r/w system,
and sets it as read-only.  The whole system fails when it tries to
initiate the system logger.

I haven't yet tried booting Windows 2000.

I'm using Red Hat 8.0, and both hard drives are Western Digital.  I
referred both to the documentation that came with the drives and the
Western Digital website to figure out the jumper configuration.

--
Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com>