2003 Jan 09 12:17

Re: [vox-tech] Ripping DVDs

hi charles,

from http://freshrpms.net/apt/:

APT (Advanced Package Tool) is well know by debian users since it is
used by default with their dpkg package format. But apt has been ported
to work with rpm packages by Conectiva, which has now used it for some
time in their GNU/Linux distribution. The good news is that apt for rpm
may be used with any other rpm-based distribution! All you need is the
tool compiled for your version of rpm and at least a repository where
rpm packages and their apt metadata can be found.

so it appears that the rpm distros are beginning to wise up.   :)  the
webpage above gives:

1. downloads for "apt for rpm"
2. some examples on how to use "apt for rpm"
3. instructions on how to create your own apt repository.

basically, you can think of apt as a program which will automatically
install a redhat rpm package for you, along with all the packages it
depends on (if rpm apt is anything like deb apt).   to install transcode
using "apt for rpm", once you have "apt for rpm" installed, you prolly
do something like:

apt-get install transcode

and transcode.rpm along with all the packages it depends on will be
automagically downloaded onto your computer and installed.  quite a
useful tool!   once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever got
around without it.   i sure did!

stupid naive question: can you rip and burn DVD's and play them on your tv DVD
drive?  or are they only playable on a computer dvd drive?

i know nothing about dvd's other than they cost more to rent than video
tapes at blockbusters.  ;-)   do dvd's have something similar to
macrovision?  or do they rely solely on CSS?

pete

begin Charles McLaughlin <cmclaughlin@ucdavis.edu>