2003 Jan 08 12:06

[vox-tech] bash question

Hey all, I'm trying to automate some grunt work, and for the life of me, I can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Here's a simplified version of what I'm trying to do:

-----
#!/bin/bash

# testrun.sh -- run the simulations to be done in the current directory
#
# usage: testrun.sh <prog>
# where <prog> is the program to be run on all of the input files

for I in *.in
do
J=`basename $I .in`
"$1 > $J.out";
"$1";
done
-----

When I run it, I get:

$ testrun.sh hello
/home/holland/bin/testrun.sh: hello > 0001.out: command not found
hello, world
/home/holland/bin/testrun.sh: hello > 0002.out: command not found
hello, world
/home/holland/bin/testrun.sh: hello > 0003.out: command not found
hello, world
/home/holland/bin/testrun.sh: hello > 0004.out: command not found
hello, world

So it seems that something is wrong with my output redirection, but each of the commands that it complains about works fine if I paste it into the terminal directly (also using bash).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

--