2003 Jan 03 19:07

Re: [vox-tech] Segmentation Fault with RPM --rebuilddb

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 11:34, ME wrote:

> Since it is immediate, and we see no other items in the trace, I would
> expect it is not a path issue with symlinks. It is sounding more and more
> like a file problem. Like there is an attempt to open a file (earlier)
> that is assumed to allready be open (no checking) and now, as we are
> getting to writing to the file descriptor, it is suddenly found to not be
> valid, or ? I guess it could be cause by a filesystem problem at the point
> on disk where one of the files it uses is stored (seems unlikely)

That would be odd...  I have seen no other indications of any problems.

> The suggestion made by Charles Polisher is a good one, and puts you on
> what I would expect to be a good track. Try to find files used by this
> process of "rpm --rebuilddb" and move them (backup) to a different
> location. Then re-run the program to see if it segfaults.

I removed all of the /var/lib/rpm/__db* files, and moved all of the
files under /var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.* directories to a backup directory.
Still got a segmentation fault.  I also tried moving all files in
/var/lib/rpm to a backup directory, and got all sorts of interesting
errors... before realizing that was the wrong thing to do and I replaced
the files. ;-)

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford