Re: [vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux ona Lapto

Re: [vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux ona Laptop?

I have a Compaq Presario 715US which I bought in April and now have dual
boot WinXP / Redhat-8.0.  Compaq/HP only supports WinXP on this machine,
but I imagine all the hardware warranties are still valid.  I had
several hardware compatibility issues, the most major being ACPI support
(no APM on this machine).  However, because it is a high volume model
laptop, I found tons of howtos and previous experiences on the web,
including custom kernel configurations.  I am sure that no matter what
laptop you buy, you can make it work with Linux.  Some may just take
more work than others.

One recommendation:  partition your hardrive into 3 parts: 1 for WinXP,
1 for Linux (including boot and swap, etc.), and 1 as FAT32 for files
you want to see by both OS's.  I read that NTFS writing is still
unstable in Linux.  If you only have a disk image for WinXP (as I did),
you indeed will have trouble partitioning first and then installing
WinXP.  In that case you can use the latest version of Partition magic,
which now can re-partition NTFS and Ext3, along with everything else.

Jonathan