Re: [vox-tech] Red Hat apache problem (was: [lugod lert] Help, please)

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 09:25:32AM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 08:56:39PM -0800, Janet Meizel wrote:
> > Hi-
> >
> > I 've upgraded from Redhat 6.5 to 8.0 server at Davis High School and
> > included Apache in the install.  Everything is set up to go, but when I
> > try to access the web page (I assume it is index.html), from another
> > computer, the message is that of denial.
> >
> > I'd like to change the accessibility, but haven't been able to locate
> > the file- even with grep.  Can you tell me where it is located? (which
> > directory, etc.)

Hi Janet.  Can you tell, when looking at the error message you see on
the other computer's web browser, whether the 'denial' message is coming
from the Apache webserver, or simply from your browser?

(I know the Internet Explorer on Windows has a default setting where it
displays "Friendly" error pages when it can't show a page.)

For example, a default Apache configuration's error message will look
something like:

  Forbidden
  Apache/1.3.22 Server at mydomain.com Port 80

(Sometimes the Apache version information isn't displayed, but often it is.)

I'm stabbing in the dark here, but if that's the error you see,
and you know things were working fine before the upgrade to RedHat 8.0,
it could be, perhaps, that the older 6.x version was set up to run
the Apache server under a different user account.

Actually - doing a quick Google search, I'm getting the feeling that
RedHat 8 uses a newer version of Apache (2.0 versus 1.3).  This could be
the cause of the problems.

You might want to look at this page over at RedHat's site:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/ref-guide/ch-httpd.html

Specifically, it says:

  "Red Hat Linux 8.0 ships with version 2.0 of the Apache HTTP Server.
  There are important differences between version 2.0 and version 1.3 - which
  shipped with earlier releases of Red Hat Linux.  This section reviews some of
  the new features of Apache HTTP Server 2.0 and outlines important changes.
  If you need to migrate a version 1.3 configuration file to the new format,
  refer to the Section called Migrating Apache HTTP Server 1.3 Configuration
  Files."

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/ref-guide/s1-httpd-v2-mig.html

(That link will wrap; sorry)

Hopefully their docs will get you on your way.  Good luck!

-bill!
root@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/