2002 Nov 24 20:13

Re: [vox-tech] Linux on an Alpha server

One more thing (left out)...

ME said:
> Special programs that use the cpu or have x86 asm routines.
>
> Places to worry:
> Linux x86 vmware, DOSEmu, Wine, Basalisk.
> (This does not mean they will NOT work, it is just a list of things that
> I would not be surprised if they did not work.)
>
> There have been some "bugs" in endian handling with obscure results when
> compiled for x86 linux vs other architectures - dont recall if the Alpha
> was one of these, though PPC was. (EG reiserfs - resolved i think)

Though sometimes the big/little endian issues across architectures for
addresses/values can impact programs you run, it seems the bugs are found
most commonly with drivers and interfaces between the kernel and
devices/virt-devices through layers of abstraction/translation.

Reading through enough "CHANGES" files for drivers and source to see
comments about this for linux to make such a generalization.

Enjoy,
-ME