2002 Nov 19 04:01

Re: [vox-tech] proftpd

Quoting Brian Lavender (brian@brie.com):

> Almost everyone has an ftp client.

True, but scp implementations are available for practically anything:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/security/ssh-clients

> Even Win 95 has a Windows
> client built into it. I would say more people are familiar
> with ftp than ssh.

True, but please note pervasive graphical front-ends to scp, referred to
in the foregoing.

> You can configure a guest ftp and anonymous ftp, where the user
> only sees your chroot area of the system.

Indeed.  That's what I do.  My preferred ftpd for anonymous-ftp operation,
currently, is vs-ftpd.
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/security/ftp-daemons
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/ftp-justification

--
Cheers,                     "All power is delightful, but absolute power
Rick Moen                    is absolutely delightful."  - Kenneth Tynan