2002 Nov 13 11:36

[vox-tech] Sound Problem

I just installed RealPlayer8 and it's screwed up the sound in my system.  The
one thing I can still do is play the CD player okay and listen to music.
However, there is now now sound when I start or leave KDE.  Also RealPlayer
did not do it's startup sound.  I have deleted RealPlayer.  This problem
happened after a crash using Kongueror when I was trying to listen to a radio
station.  I also get some static now when logging onto Linux, and clicking on
icons in KDE.  I get these two error messages:

"Sound server warning message:
Can't set real-time scheduling priority.
You need to run artswrapper as root or
setuid root. This means that you will
likely not be able to produce acceptable
sound (i.e. without clicks and breaks)."

"Sound server informational message:
sound server suspended"

When I log on as root and type "artswrapper" I get this message:

">> running as realtime process now (priority 50)
/tmp/mcop-bob is not owned by user"

If I type "artswrapper" when I am not root I get this message:

"Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Resource temporarily unavailable)"

Any ideas as to fix this?

Thank you.

Bob