2002 Nov 07 13:14

Re: [vox-tech] flex/bison and licenses

They have a special exception to GPL for Bison:

   http://www.gnu.org/manual/bison-1.25/html_mono/bison.html#SEC2

As for Flex, if it's a BSD license, I don't see why you couldn't
redistribute the resulting file in propriatary software (as long as you
give it credit, I suppose, to follow BSD-ism, though I think the newer BSD
license removed that requirement.)

-Mark

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> hi all,
>
> flex is licensed under BSD (basically).   bison is licensed under GPL.
>
> do programs that get distributed and which use flex/bison as part of
> their make process have to be licensed GPL?
>
> can i use flex and bison to generate a .c file which will be compiled
> and linked into my ultra-proprietary very-non-free software?
>
> pete
>
> --

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/