2002 Nov 01 22:26

[vox-tech] is this a job for Xlib?

Hey all,

[sorry if this gets multiply posted... it seemed to bounce the first time]

So, I'd like to have a simple program or script that makes X11 think
that it has received a sequence of keystrokes... at least, I think
that's what I want.  The goal is to have a way to click on something to
switch from X11 to Aqua under Mac OS X (gasp! a little off-topic!).  So
I need to make the machine believe that it has received a Cmd-Opt-A
sequence, and I believe that in this case that amounts to making X11
believe that.

The clicking part should be trivial, as I have a launcher-type that
deals with that.  So... from what I can tell, it seems that this is a
job for XSendEvent in Xlib, but I'm not sure.  Anyone know this stuff
well enough to tell me if I'm on the right track?  Can you comment on
how much of a pain it would be to learn enough Xlib to do this?  I'm a
sort of fair C programmer with not so much experience dealing with other
people's libraries.

Thanks,
Matt

--