2002 Oct 28 22:59

Re: [vox-tech] How to make an OEM style "system recovery disk"

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 09:26:57PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin Ryan Castellucci <ryan+lugod@cal.net>
> >
> > I'm looking to build a bootable CD to give to a friend along with a computer
> > that when booted will offer to overwrite the hard drive from a compressed
> > disk image. I looked on freshmeat, but didn't see anything well suited to
> > this. The box in question will have windows on it (They want windows, I don't
> > feel like arguing). Anyone know of a project that can do this?
>
> i'm not sure i understand.  are you giving your friend a "nag-ware"
> computer that nags him to install linux?  :)
>
> > What about linux boot CDs that can easily be customized to run a shell script
> > at boot time?
>
> not sure i understand this either.   the whole runlevel initialization
> mechanism is a method of executing shell scripts at boot.   boot CD's
> should have this too.
>
> when you say "easy", do you mean not having to conform to the standard
> initialization script format?  you can use rc.boot for that.
>
> if you want to make an OEM style recovery disk, i imagine you can
> install linux and then dd/bzip2 up the entire hard drive.  i'm guessing
> that even if windows gets installed on top of linux, dd will restore
> partition info.   the backup image shouldn't be too big for a fresh
> install.  but your friend would lose all his data.

One would need to zero out the hard drive first, otherwise one will be
trying to compress a whole hard drive's worth of random bits and fit it
onto a single CD.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda (or /dev/hda or whatever) should do nicely.

dd will restore partition info, by the way. I've used it for backing up
and restoring a partition table before. Just make sure to grab from
/dev/sda, not /dev/sda1. (or hda, hda1, etc.)