January 6: Social gathering
2002 Oct 24 08:31

[vox-tech] How to backup/restore Windows with Linux

[vox-tech] How to backup/restore Windows with Linux

This is just to share a little success story and get it into
the archives, in case anyone else finds it useful.

Given a multiboot hard drive with Win98 SE on hda1 (1 gig
FAT16), I wanted to move everything to a new, larger drive,
with a 6G FAT32 Windows parititon.

Yes, as a software developer, sometimes I have to work with
Windows.  That's the breaks.

I figured I'd have to reinstall Win98 for this, but decided
to try an easier route just in case it worked.

I installed the new drive as hdc and booted up Win98 (lilo
is my boot loader).  Then I ran Windows (DOS?) fdisk to
create a 6G hdc1, followed by the obligatory reboot back
into Win98.

From Windows Explorer I formatted hdc1, including creation
of the "system files".  Then I turned off virtual memory
to get rid of the swap file, incurring another obligatory
reboot.  After that I used Explorer again to copy everything
on hda1 to hdc1, taking care not to overlay the system files
that were already there (not sure if that matters).

Following all this was a reboot into Linux, creation of my
Linux partitions, copying everything over to them, changing
/etc/fstab, making a boot diskette, shutting down, re-
cabling the new drive as hda, rebooting with the boot
diskette, editing lilo.conf, running lilo -- all the usual
stuff.

Surprise!  Windows boots, everything still works.  I'm a
happy guy this morning.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/