2002 Oct 22 11:24

[vox-tech] using autoconf (errors)

i'm trying to learn autoconf by following mark galassi's tutorial.
the source code i'm working with already has a vanilla makefile.

here's my first stab (from top level):

p@satan% cp Makefile Makefile.orig
p@satan% mv Makefile Makefile.in
p@satan% autoscan
p@satan% mv configure.scan configure.in
p@satan% autoheader
p@satan% autoconf
autoconf: Undefined macros:
configure.in:22:AC_FUNC_ERROR_AT_LINE
configure.in:23:AC_FUNC_MALLOC
configure.in:27:AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
configure.in:3:AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([xpose.c])
p@satan% ./configure
configure: error: can not find sources in . or ..

as usual, the configure script is a big fat mess and difficult to
follow.

i fully realize i gave practically no information.  sending a tarball to
the list is a huge no-no, but i'm hoping that some autoconf guru will
have some tips to help me out with these error messages.

related question:

i have no desire to read 50+ pages of autoconf info pages.  i've done a
websearch for a "quick and dirty introduction", but other than galassi's
tutorial, couldn't find much.   anyone know of a pragmatic intro to
autoconf?

pete