2002 Sep 28 19:34

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu: [lugod lert] gentoo newbieques

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [ijtrotts@ucdavis.edu: [lugod lert] gentoo newbiequestions]

Issac Trotts wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 08:12:50AM -0700, Henry House wrote:
>
>>Issac: I am forwarding your message to LUGOD's Vox-tech mailing list. Have
>>you checked for information on Gentoo's website? Is /dev/hda3 in fact already
>>in use?
>

> There didn't seem to be anything about this on Gentoo's site.  The device
> /dev/hda3 was already in use, since it's mounted as / .  Trying
> umount / (probably not wise) also tells me "device is busy".

This is something that happens *during* the Gentoo install?  If so,
maybe you're misinterpreting an instruction, because I don't recall ever
having to mount any filesystem in two places during a Gentoo install.
You do have to chroot at some point, which could cause some confusion.

I know it's been mentioned before, but Gentoo is not a very
newbie-friendly distribution.  That said, if you have a piece of
hardware laying around for which you can risk a lot of downtime,
installing Gentoo can be a great way to learn a bunch of stuff about how
a Linux system works... if you're ready for that kind of experience.

Good luck,
Matt