2002 Sep 20 12:57

Re: [vox-tech] gdb: until doesn't work as advertised?

Re: [vox-tech] gdb: until doesn't work as advertised?

begin msimons@moria.simons-clan.com <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 05:02:35PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > begin msimons@moria.simons-clan.com <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> > i agree the above is clearly written.  the real problem, i guess, is
> > that i should've given you a sample of what i'm talking about.  :)  so
> > here it is:
>
>   This sample is good.  The only difference I saw between this and the
> other emails are explict commands on each line (instead of just using
> return to repeat the previous command).
>
> > p@satan% gdb until_demo
> > (gdb) l
> > 1       #include <stdio.h>
> > 2
> > 3       int main(void)
> > 4       {
> > 5               int i=0, j=0;
> > 6               scanf("%d", &i);
> > 7
> > 8               while (i) {
> > 9                       i--;
> > 10                      j++;
> > (gdb) break 9
> > Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048420: file until_demo.c, line 9.
> [...]
> > so you see, until doesn't seem to step out of this loop.   from looking
> > at this, it looks like until is behaving exactly like next.
>
>   You set a breakpoint inside the loop.  The description for "until"
> doesn't say that it will disable all breakpoints until a higher code
> address is reached.  It will run the program until a higher line or (for
> good reason), another break condition is hit... (breakpoint, watchpoint,
> signal, whatever).

AIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

now i feel really stupid.   ach.

thanks for pointing this out to me.  i can't believe this didn't occur
to me last night.

pete