2002 Sep 19 20:52

[vox-tech] X11 on remote machine

I recently upgraded to Debian's woody distribution and can no longer
forward X11 info. when I'm logged into a remote machine via ssh.
Here's the situation:

logged on remotely to my account on another machine.  I want to send it's
X output to my screen.  On my machine, I used xhost +theothermachine to
give it permission, then, once logged in, used setenv DISPLAY
my_IP:0 to switch the display to my screen.  No go.  It's not a
case of doubly assigned or incorrect IP numbers--I can ssh back into my
machine using that IP.  When I try to start emacs, I get

_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

and when I try to run mathtematica, I get

connect 169.237.66.157 port 6000: Connection refused
connect 169.237.66.157 port 6000: Connection refused
X connection to localhost:14.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I realized that ssh has changed some between distributions (ssh now =
OpenSSH) and that now ForwardX11 is set to no in ssh_d.config.  I tried
switching that to yes.  I also tried ssh with the -X option, which should
allow X11 forwarding.  None of these worked.  Ideas?

			- robin.