2002 Sep 18 01:26

Re: [vox-tech] Printouts cliped, how to fix?

Re: [vox-tech] Printouts cliped, how to fix?

The printer was probably waiting for the paper eject command (ASCII #12,
"Form Feed"), then it timed out and ejected the queued page.  To print
directly to the raw device, first send the file to the printer like this:

   cat file.txt > /dev/lp0

then send paper eject command ("form feed") to the printer like this:

   echo '<Ctrl-V><Ctrl-L>' > /dev/lp0

where "Ctrl-V" and "Ctrl-L" are Ctrl key combination, typed under BASH.

On a separate note, when you print using `ls | lpr`, and then you print
using `ls > /dev/lp0 && echo '<Ctrl-V><Ctrl-L>' > /dev/lp0`, do you notice
any difference besides the text not being cut off on the top and right?
For example, is the text shifted to the left or the bottom?

Good nite!

-Mark

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>

> > > loads a page, doesn't print anything.
> >
> > for 10 minutes....
>
> i can't imagine printing being any faster by accessing the raw device;
> you've bypassed the spooler.  something wierd is happening.
>
> does messages say anything wierd about parport driver?
>
> > then it printed without mucking up the edges.
>
> ok, this is what i thought it would do.
>
> grasping at straws...
>
> maybe you can rig up an input filter to make a copy of the job once it's
> spooled.  queue the job with lpr and compare the post spooled version
> with the original job.  prolly a fruitless endeavour, but all i can come
> up with.
>
> are you using cups or lprng?  i've never used either one.  maybe they do
> some filtering not explicitly mentioned in printcap?
>
> pete

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.