2002 Sep 18 08:59

[vox-tech] CERTŪ Advisory CA-2002-27 Apache/mod_ssl Worm

[vox-tech] CERTŪ Advisory CA-2002-27 Apache/mod_ssl Worm

Since most of you use Linux :) , I figure many of you will be
interested in the following CERT advisory.  I've included the top
part.

(Doug: Since we don't run SSL on our apache, we're safe for now....)

Louie

Original release date: September 14, 2002
Last revised: September 17, 2002 13:43 EDT (UTC-0400)
Source: CERT/CC

Systems Affected

* Linux systems running Apache with mod_ssl accessing SSLv2-enabled
OpenSSL 0.9.6d or earlier on Intel x86 architectures

Overview

The CERT/CC has received reports of self-propagating malicious code
which exploits a vulnerability (VU#102795) in OpenSSL. This malicious
code has been referred to as Apache/mod_ssl worm, linux.slapper.worm
and bugtraq.c worm. Reports received by the CERT/CC indicate that the
Apache/mod_ssl worm has already infected thousands of systems.