2002 Sep 17 10:19

[vox-tech] Newbie: On building a Linux box

[vox-tech] Newbie: On building a Linux box

I like building my own computers, so I built one for Linux. Now I find out almost none of the components are compatible with Red Hat (the distribution I've got); some are compatible with SuSE (available and recommended by a friend).

Red Hat didn't list any motherboards, so I figured they would all work; there were also no hard disks listed. I try to install Red Hat and find that the chip set and the hard disk will not work. As far as I can tell I will have to build another box, so here is the question:

Is there an easy (minimum headaches) way of selecting components for this new box. What I have started doing is:
Make a list of motherboards and chipsets available,
Check with each site to see which are compatible with which Linux distribution,
Purchase the best of the compatible motherboards
Make a list of video cards available
Check with each site...

When I bought the boards for the box I've been trying to use, I asked if it was Linux compatible, and was told "yes." I had forgotten that computer component sales people fall into the same category as used car salesmen (ie, "yes"=commission).