2002 Sep 13 20:11

Re: [vox-tech] appropriate variable size in driver

Re: [vox-tech] appropriate variable size in driver

I'd test the unsigned char first to make sure the code works.  There could
be other issues that are more important to address.  After verifying the
code does work and has no other issues, then move onto int-fying
variables.

If you int-fied everything first, and if the code didn't work, you
wouldn't know if the int-fying broke the code, if there are other issues,
or both.

Just my $0.03... (inflation)

-Mark

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Eric Nelson wrote:

> I am porting a driver from an 8 bit processer to a linux driver.  Many
> counters and other variables are unsigned char, because they don't
> get big, do it works, kind of the embedded thing to do - keep small.
> The target is a 32 bit geode.  It seems like I should generalize
> these variables to 16 bit or 32 bit.  What works better?  What is
> more 'appropriate'.  It seems kind of old fashioned to leave them at
> 8 bit.

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/
PGP key available upon request.