2002 Sep 12 22:12

Re: [vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Re: [vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Gamers ought to appreciate that bit about winmodems can/might reduce
latency in an appropriately powerful machine (not that anybody should be
gaming with a modem anyway, but if you must you must).

There are a lot of new laptops out and coming out with that godawful
connexant modem/sound chip combo.  I think somebody needs to come up
with a working driver.  I have a pair of laptops in which i've
effortlessly (mostly) and proudly configured the lucent winmodems to
work using that (sort of open-source) driver.  I can't stand the idea of
a piece of hardware (which in a laptop can't be removed) taking up space
and not being used.  I don't use modems unless I'm travelling, but when
I do need them, it's nice that they work in Linux since that's what I
use!  I've done dial-up tech support for a number of years and the
phrases "lucent winmodem" and "connexant soft 56k" make me shudder!  But
they exist (and ubiquitously at that) so I hope the drivers get
maintained/improved.

dave