2002 Sep 12 09:06

Re: [vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Re: [vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Rick --

I didn't mean to imply that linmodem.org was actually doing development,
only that I had been to their site a few times over the past year+ and
tried (unsuccessfully) to apply the Conexant drivers they had linked there.
I wish I had seen your page previously. They did not have a link to the
mbsi site, but I saw that you do. I was just happy to find a modem driver
that works.

I am not as sophisticated as most of you on this list. It is still a
daunting task for me to try to add a modem (internal or external) and
disable the builtin modem chip, then add a sound card and disable the chip
while continuing to be able to use the CD-ROM drives and other board level
services. While I wouldn't mind taking one internal modem card and swapping
it for another, ensuring that I safely navigate various IRQ and other
potential conflicts with a chip hard wired to the motherboard, I sometimes
feel that I know just enough to screw it up. It may not be as hard as I
think, but it has been easier for me to dual boot with Win98 to use the
modem, grabbing needed files from the windows partition, and going without
sound.

My point was that there are probably many people even less sophisticated
than me (though clearly not on this list) that could be helped / prodded if
drivers (even partially proprietary ones) were available for their
hardware. I had not considered your points previously, so I at least
understand now why some (many / most?) open source supporters would not
find this approach worthwhile to contribute their time.

HP took a very long time (in my opinion) to get on board and truly support
open drivers. Maybe this process is a little slower for Conexant.

-- Larry

http://www.forum3000.org/