January 6: Social gathering
2002 Sep 10 16:20

Re: [vox-tech] gdb question: rbreak

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:55:41PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> on debian/woody, about a year ago, backtraces included glibc functions
> as well, which was a major bummer.  my understanding is that it was due
> to the way gdb was built by the debian gdb maintainer.  thankfully, it
> eventually got fixed.

  If you have the debugging version of glibc installed you should
have all the symbols needed to get backtraces from glibc functions.
If you want the symbols install "libc6-dbg" and have them in your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH when running.

  TTFN,
    Mike

Package: libc6-dbg
 Contains unstripped shared libraries.
 This package is provided primarily to provide a backtrace with
 names in a debugger, this makes it somewhat easier to interpret core
 dumps. The libraries are installed in /usr/lib/debug and can be
 used by placing that directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
 Most people will not need this package.